Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Christian Keyboarding

Product: Keyboarding for the Christian School: Elementary Version (K-5)
Company: Christian Keyboarding
Price: $12.95US as an e-book (pdf)
Additional Info: Various freebies as well a discount codes available currently on their website.

As part of The Homeschool Crew, I was able to review Keyboarding for the Christian School. Christian Keyboarding is a company that specializes in teaching God's words while teaching typing skills. There are various levels and programs available for purchase as PDFs (e-books) on their website, as well as numerous freebies. Keyboarding for the Christian School follows a pretty typical method for teaching touch typing (starting at home row and expanding from there). The directions are easy to follow and it is clear which finger should be used for each letter. Christian Keyboarding follows the same progression that you would find a typical online typing program but by lesson 18 (in the elementary version), your student will no longer be typing nonsensical sentences but actual passages from the Bible.

I opted out of using this program with my son at the current time. He hasn't had much need to learn how to type as of yet and is easily frustrated by things that he cannot master easily. As this is an e-book is must either be printed or opened in a secondary window on your computer while your student types in whatever word processing program you choose to use. The student does not get immediate feedback (unless you are sitting there watching) as to how they are doing. I could see Liam in tears as I watched over (or corrected) his typing. At this point and time, I do not feel any strong need for him to be a competent typist and will likely try out an online free typing program when that time comes. I don't feel any strong need for my children to have Christian content as part of their typing curriculum so I would not go out of my way to pay for this program. Though, I do like the scriptures very much it isn't something mandatory to me in this type of program.

For only $12.95US this program is worth the cost if you would like your children to experience God's words as they are learning to type. The passages at the beginning of each lesson are a nice addition and the instructions are clear so I would not hesitate to purchase this product if I strongly felt the need to use scriptures as part of my typing curriculum. To find out more about Christian Keyboarding and their various products be sure to visit their website (and don't forget the freebies and discount codes!).

No comments:

Post a Comment