Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Square Foot Garden Update

We've managed to get our gardens planted!

I'm amazed at how much stuff one can cram into a square foot! I had no idea how much we'd be able to cram in those little beds. We probably would have been just fine with four beds but we did fill up all six. I think we were a little ambitious but square foot gardens are supposed to be pretty easy to care for so hopefully we'll be okay!



We've planted:

  • 3 varieties of lettuce (Romaine, iceburg, and red leaf)

  • lots of spinach (though it isn't looking too healthy....it was HOT the day I planted it)

  • carrots

  • tomatoes (Tiny Tim and Scotia varieties)

  • zucchini

  • cucumbers

  • Herbs (sweet basil, spicy globe basil, rosemary, chives, marjoram, sage,  feverfew, Italian parsley, frilly parsley, savory, bee balm, etc)

  • Swiss chard

  • sweet corn

  • bean bush

  • sweet peppers

  • onions

  • leeks

  • strawberries

  • broccoli

  • cabbage



All in all, we spent a little under 100 dollars for the plants (and were given a few leftovers from a friend and if we get a good turn out we'll easily make that back (plus we won't have to worry about our food being covered in pesticides). Some of the herbs and the strawberries should grow back again next year so we'll be able to enjoy then for years to come!





I'm a little terrified that certain plants (cucumbers, zukes, and strawberries) as going to take over the garden and I likely should have given them a box of their own. I honestly didn't have a clue what I was doing so I'll be happy with whatever we get. It will be a good learning experience.

If there are any others out there that have planted a square foot garden this year I would love to see them (share your link in the comments section) and hear how they progress over the summer.

I will keep you updated on ours as well!

7 comments:

  1. LOOKS GOOD! I did some posts over at www.littlehomeschoolonthehill.com two years ago about my square foot gardens, you remember them? Well, yes, the Zukes will take over... LOL!

    As for your set up, I LOVE that you have them on a tarp of landscaping fabric... how smart are you??? Hmmm... I might have to consider that... I wanted to put some in next year (too much going on this year). In the meantime, I have some tomatoes, peppers, zukes, cukes and rhubarb (for next year) growing this year... I think I need something else, but haven't decided what... melons maybe? That'd be fun!

    Gotta decide soon!

    I think yours look fantastic!!! WELL DONE! Hopefully I can get down there sometime around harvest and help you enjoy your bountiful garden!!! :o)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, Katrina!! I've been meaning to take pics of mine so I'll have to do that and post them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! I need to get pics of our garden and post about the change of plans we've had with it. :)

    April E.
    http://homeschoolblogger.com/elcloud

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!!! Can't wait until we have a place where we are "allowed" to garden! The kids really need the experience of digging in the dirt and watching their own food grow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a square foot garden too and this year I am trying to trellis my cucumbers and zuch. using tomato cages. We'll see how that goes! I used the cheap med. tomato cages for the cucumbers and the extra large tomato cages for the zuch. http://www.digginfood.com/2010/05/vegetable-trellis-round-up/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is so cute! Love it! You can let the cukes spill over the side of the box. You'll just have to step over the vines.

    I got here from the crew's forum. Now, I'm going to visit some more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!

    It's a definite learning experience for the whole family. We had mediocre results with our first garden last year (not square foot) so we're hoping for a little better.

    I might photograph and update about the garden weekly this summer since I no longer have a baby belly to post about! I'm going to go check out the links to all your gardens right now!

    ReplyDelete