Tuesday, November 20, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

We woke up to the first snowfall of the season this morning. It was a wee bit of the white stuff but it was enough to cover the ground and last the whole day without disappearing as the rain of the rest of the day fell. However, it wasn't enough that I got all excited and pulled out my carema to take pictures of it. I did however pull out my box of Christmas decorations and even the Christmas tree.


If you know me well, you probably know that i am not a big fan of Christmas. As a child it felt magical and special. My Mum loved Christmas and was busy making Christmas crafts all year long. I ofter remember her wrapping Christmas presents in September (and sneaking into her closet to try and see if any of them were mine). Christmas cookies and Cristmas visits were never scarce. It felt like there was a lot of tradition to the holiday season. My Mum passed away and Christmas changed. Then I met my partner and Christmas changed even more. There doesn't seem to be any Christmas tradition within their family (unless their tradition is to have Christmas whenever they feel like it). In the 8 years we've been together we've celebrated Christmas anywhere from the 23rd to the 31st. Sometimes we have a meal. Sometimes we have hors d'oeurves. Nothing, nothing is ever the same from year to year. Most often we don't do anything on actual Christmas day because either we celebrated before or most often we'll be celebrating later.


Christmas is also very commercial for them and it is mostly about the presents. I have no idea how many times they've told Liam that the best part of Christmas is the gifts and Santa (ARG!!!!!). I'm trying to teach him that the best part is being with family and doing things together but it's all about that man in the red suit and they want want WANT all the newest/"coolest" toys.


So anyways, I decided that this year I am going to get into the holiday season. I figure that if I start early I'll have time to get into the holiday season by Christmas (or I'll be terribly sick of it). So I pull out the box of decorations and lug up our artifical tree (whose had better years....we got it for 19.99 at a hardware store 5 years ago and it's travelled a lot with us). I put on some coffee and the radio station (we convieiently have one that plays Christmas music 24/7 starting the day after Hallowe'en). I spent the whole morning untangling lights and bead garland and finally get it up on our tree. Liam was thrilled and says "Mommy, wow, we are putting up the tree on the first day it snows. It's a tradition." So I guess that I'll have to do this each year and pray for no snow in October!


Dscf0819_2


Our half decorated tree (I figure I have a MONTH to get it all decorated, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment