Friday, November 9, 2007

I'm in Heaven

I was going to tell you about Christmas in November (which, by the way, was totally a mother's worst nightmare but funny just the same), however, my doorbell rang at 6:30 this evening and changed all that. One my step was a tall dark stanger, a tall dark stranger bearing books, at that. It seems Canada Post dropped the package off at his place, that was no where even near in the vicinity of mine. I wasn't expecting this package for a couple weeks as I'd only ordered it two days before and Amazon's expected delivery date was between the 18th and the 22nd. I live no where near the Amazon warehouse AND according to their site one of the books ships in 1-3 weeks so hmm, to get it pretty much over night was pretty unexpected but I couldn't be more thrilled. I actually want to throw down my pen (or rather keyboard) and curl up with my books but aw, yes, here I am writing instead (as a good writer does).


Take a peak at the books that I got:


Dscf0741


The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children


Creating Characters Kids Will Love


Childrens Writer's and Illustrator's Market


Books, totally for me, only for me, and purely to get my creative juices flowing. I so rarely get new things for myself that I decided to go all out (I was originally in search of the Childrens Writer's and Illustrator's Market only). I figure that this will be a complete starting over process given the fact that my life has changed so completely from the last time I've written. I've always written young adult fiction with a focus on tough stuff. As a teen I was a bit cancer obsessed (perhaps this comes from losing my Mum to the disease at such a pivotal time in life). I was completely Lurlene McDaniel obsessed and while everyone else was reading Goosebumps I was devouring books on kids facing extraordinary challenges. I've got quite the collection of books. I've written a couple of naive novellas of that sort that I would love to some day refine and publish as they are near and dear to my heart being my first pieces of work (and for the fact the Ms. Lurlene McDaniel has held them in her very own hands *lol*) but there is something about having my own precious little ones that makes me less inclined to want to deal with children's mortality. It is certainly a reality that we all potentially face as parents but not one that is easy to come to terms with.


When I am older and stronger I will go back and finish those books. For now, I am looking for something new. Maybe something for younger kids, maybe not. Maybe fiction, maybe not. Who knows what the future will bring. There are so many options out there and so many directions to go. The world is a blank canvas (or is that a blank notebook).


For now I am off to discover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment