Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lesson Planet: A Search Engine for Teachers

Product: Lesson Planet
Price: 39.95$US/year
Additional Information: 10 day free trial available

I'm a little addicted to the Internet. I LOVE search engines. I appreciate being able to find just about anything online. I was happy to be able to review Lesson Planet as part of the TOS Homeschool Crew. Lesson Planet is a search engine designed specifically for teachers which allows you to search for lesson plans by topic and then narrow down the selections by rating, age/grade and method of teaching. With 225 000+ worksheets and lesson plans there is an abundance of material available.

I found that this search engine was quite easy to use. The material that I did find seemed to be mostly geared towards the age range that I was looking for and most everything came from reputable sites so I was not concerned about the information that I'd be sharing with my children. However, I did find that most of the lesson plans were geared towards a classroom setting and while they could be modified for the most part they were not lessons I would use in a home school environment. As things often change on the internet I also encountered quite a few dead links in my search and while they are easy to report (and hopefully have fixed) if I'd been particularly in a hurry I might have found them frustrating. As a Canadian, I found Canadian content to be severely lacking and for that reason in addition to finding the lesson plans much more geared towards a school setting, I would no really be will to pay the 39.95$US/per year.

Lesson Planet offers a free 10 day trial so I would encourage you to check that out if this search engine interests you. Please be sure to check out other Crew Members' reviews here as I know that there were several members who really liked this program and perhaps reading their reviews will give you a more balanced review of the product.

***Any products reviewed by me as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew have been given to me free of charge in order for me to provide you with an honest review of the product and/or how we used the product within our family. I do not receive any other form of compensation for the reviews posted on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment