Thursday, January 24, 2008

Lentil Soup-Well, it is finally here!!

So I promised you my lentil soup recipe and was meaning to get to it sooner but we've had sick kids in the house and a very tired Mommy (they just won't stay in their beds....Liam that is....Morgaine is permenantly back in my bed). So needless to say my bed has been calling me in the evening (as opposed to the blog).


So anyways, I made this soup last week while I was on the phone with a dear friend from highschool. Nothing has changed. We talked for hours. However, because I was talking on the phone I didn't write down the measurements of the spices I used (though I did measure them). A week later I am at a loss for what I put in it. Here is the general recipe anyways.


Katrina's Indian Ispired Lentil Soup


You'll need:


  • 1 cup of red lentils

  • 4 cups of water (approximately)

  • 1 red onion

  • 1 pepper (I would have used red or orange if I had them but I only had yellow)

  • 2 stalks of celery

  • curry (I used about 1 tablespoon...maybe a bit more)

  • ginger

  • corriander

  • pinch of cinnamon

  • salt (it needs quite a bit)

Add the lentils to the water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes.


Dscf1119


At the same time chopped onion, pepper and celery and saute until celery is soft.


Dscf1120


When cooked add to the lentil mixture and cook for an additional 5 minutes (or whatever really).


Dscf1122


I then pureed it with a hand held blender but am thinking that it would have been just a good and probbaly had a better texture if I'd diced the veggies a little smaller and not pureed the soup (as I said this is totally out of my head here). The texture was a bit funny we found and I'd forgotten to salt it. It did taste good though (a nice spice blend) but it REALLY needs the salt.


Anyways, that was my invention for the week (and y'all might be saying....DON'T try again....or at least don't share with me....but I promised y'all).


Have a good rest of the week.....and Heather check back tonight....I'll have a couple pics for  you up here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment