Monday, November 9, 2009

Free Resource from The American Heritage Education Foundation

Picture 14

I wasn't expecting to get to review FREE material as part of the TOS Homeschool Crew but about a month ago, I received a CD from The American Heritage Foundation. The CD contains information on four themes prevalent in American history that the American Heritage Education Foundation feel are missing in a child's education today-freedom, unity, progress and responsibility. The information is available in three different levels from K-12 as well as also having the elementary level also available in Spanish. The material can be downloaded directly from their website or they will ship a CD with the material to you for FREE.

As a Canadian, I have not taught American history/citizenship to my children, nor do I know all that much about it. I enjoyed reading through the information, though I found that it would be a little be dry for younger children, like my own. The activities seemed to be better suited to a classroom but many could adapted to fit into a homeschool environment without too much effort. There are a few, though, that require a large group of students so would be impossible to do (unless of course you wanted to do them as part of a homeschooling co-op). Included is a wide variety of activities that nicely cover the 4 themes that they set out to explore (each section lets you know at the beginning which theme(s) will be covered. It would be too difficult to cover the different themes together as a family even with children from a variety of age ranges.

While the material would be considered a little dry for my homeschool, it is FREE so I would totally recommend that my American readers go to The American Heritage Educational Foundation and get a copy. I feel that themes are important to touch on and the information is valuable and if used in conjunction with other activities would provide quite valuable to any homeschool (and public school, for that matter).

No comments:

Post a Comment