Saturday, September 5, 2009

Web Design for Kids (..and Curious Grown-Ups)

Picture 6Product: Web Design for KIDS (...and Curious Grown-Up)
Company: Click Drag Solutions
Price: $40.00 US
Special Information: For a limited time purchase this instructional DVD for 19.99

A few weeks ago, I received a package in the mail. I opened it up to find the Web Design for Kids (...and Curious Adults) instructional DVD. When my son saw the DVD he said, "Mom, I'm a kid. Can I watch it?" Glad to see that he was interested in it, I told him he could. After a couple minutes he said to me, "Hey Mom, what's Web Design?" I told him to put on the DVD and he would see (crossing my fingers that he'd get a good explanation given to him by the instructor). Within 5 minutes, he excitedly ran to the kitchen to tell me that he was going to be able to create a website and that the DVD was going to show him how. He watched, captivated as Brian Richardson, a middle school computer literacy teacher, showed him step by step what goes into creating a website.

The instructional DVD was designed for people using a Windows operating system, so we had to experiment a little on our Mac. Instead of using Wordpad and Internet Explorer we were able to use Text Edit and Firefox with some little modifications. A young child, like my son, would require extra help with these changes (finding the programs, knowing where and how to save information for example). We did not end up creating a website in the end because Liam needed me to sit with him in order to pause the DVD so that he could type in the text that he needed to. We received this product for review right in the middle a very busy summer filled with visits and company and time did not allow me to dedicate the time to Liam though we did do several of the lessons. Liam did enjoy the lessons that we completed, but had no idea what he would make a website about so I felt okay leaving it at that. The DVD is one that the kids like to watch just for fun so I have no doubts that one day soon, Liam will get an idea and will be able to make a website without too much difficulty because of repeated exposure to the information on this DVD.

Having taking adult basic HTML before, I felt that this DVD was very complete covering such topics as:

  • Basic HTML code

  • Adding Pictures

  • Colouring letters and Backgrounds

  • Making text move across the screen

  • and Much more.


There were only a few more advanced things that we touched on in my HTML class (which was much more expensive than this DVD) and they are not things that are used in everyday web design.

I am happy with this project and I am sure  that the kids will get more use out of it in the coming years (really, a 6 year old doesn't have much reason to want to build a website). The information was complete and the teacher friendly and informative. He was even able to anticipate "problems" and questions that a student might have and answer them. The children liked having "kids like them" in the DVD (though my husband and I found it was rather scripted and somewhat cheesey). They got the kids attention, though, and I guess that it what is most important.

Right now, for a limited time you can order the instructional DVD for $19.99US, which I think is a  good deal. I am not so sure that I would pay the regular $40.00US price tag but if you had a child that really wanted to learn HTML and you were faced with buying a  (MASSIVE) HTML book from the book store or this DVD for about the same price,   then the DVD is probably the way to go for easy, friendly, step by step instruction. It is also nice to note that a portion of the profits of the sales from this DVD goes to help children directly through donations to the following charities:  The Smile Train, Ronald McDonald House, Children's Miracle Network, The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, and The American Foundation for the Blind. It's nice to be able to support a company that cares more about the needs of others than its bottom line.

To find out more about this DVD and the company please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment