Monday, February 4, 2008

Kindergarten Registration

Well, this week is the week for Kindergarten registration. I'm a little bit at a loss for what to do about it. We've been talking about homeschooling for a number of years (yes, YEARS) and are pretty sure that this is the route that we area going to take. However, this winter has been long (and it isn't over yet) and I worry that during the long winter months when there isn't much to do we are going to find the days insanely long with each other. I have no worries about homeschooling in the warmer months (and summer) when the kids can run off their energies outside and the weather is pleasant for various field trips and what not.


Then comes the issue of the inlaws. I spoke to Mike last night (as it was originally his idea to homeschool) and told him that I expected him to defend me against his parents when we told them that we'd be keeping Liam home next year and he didn't seem like he was going to be much support. Now, I always get in trouble when I try to defend our choices to HIS parents so it would be awesome to know that he'd stand behind me. But nope. I worry it'll be an area that I'll be quized on and me expected to have covered a certain amount of stuff each day (where I'd rather take it easier and let Liam be the leader...more or less).


I know Liam is very bright. I think he will be bored in a regular class room (his Grandma told me to stop teaching him because he was going to be bored....can I help the fact that my kid loves to learn?). I hate the fact that everything is grouped by age and not ability in schools and that there is so much structure (for obvious reasons....the teachers aren't just teacher 2 or 3 children at a time). I think that he would do so well left to his own devices to explore what interests him (with some gentle guidance from Mum).


I want to feel 100% confident about our plans but I am wondering if that is even remotely possible.


Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment